July 21, 2011

Sorry Dad: Kitchen Light Edition

like the latest Sorry Dad!


I was deep cleaning the kitchen last week and I was just looking around, daydreaming as usual. If I had it my way and money was no object I would tear down the wall where the fridge is, rip out the peninsula, add more cabinets to the red wall, put an island in the middle, get a farmhouse sink, granite countertops, glass tile back splash, recessed lights (except for the hanging lanterns over the island)... I could probably go on all day.


But Brian and I decided we aren't going to spend significant amounts of money in this house because A) we would like to move in the next couple of years and B) we have a lot of other things we would rather do for now, like travel or spoil the dog or prepare for our future family. So we will maintain the house, but not go overboard.


When I looked up that day though, I noticed something that bothered me, and would be an easy fix...
That hideous kitchen light! With the help of my brother and dad, we painted all of the cabinets last winter. They were really old, crappy dark brown wood and the kitchen was all dark and depressing. So now the cabinets were looking pretty sweet, but that light sticks out like a sore thumb.


In the spirit of not spending a lot of money, I went down to my garage and grabbed some of the old cabinet paint (Valspar Chef White in case you were wondering). Side note, there are about 873 different colors of white paint out there. Picking one is stressful. For real. I decided that painting the box around the hideous florescent light would help it blend in and give the room the quick little make over that I so badly desired.

I primed it and did a first coat yesterday. When Brian came home from work and saw little specks of paint on me, he looked at me kinda sideways and said, "What did you paint today??" I told him he had to find it. :)


He figured it out pretty quickly, approved (too bad if he didn't, I guess!) and so I did a second coat today.
Better, no? I mean, it still wouldn't be my first choice, but I can live with it. Here's where the sorry dad comes in- I didn't put down a drop cloth, I got some paint on the dog, I skipped forgot (?) to sand the wood first, and since I am kinda short, I pretty much teeter-tottered on the edge of the counter because it made it easier to reach than the step stool...
I knew that Kinesiology degree would come in handy someday. And to think I once questioned why I had to do a balance beam routine complete with cartwheel dismount... real life application right here, folks. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment