July 18, 2011

30 Day Challenge: Day 10

Songs you listen to when you're happy, sad, bored, hyped, mad...

Maybe I'm the exception, but my life/emotions don't really revolve around music. I enjoy it, and I appreciate when I'm stuck in traffic or on an otherwise boring run, but in general, I'm not one of those people that puts their headphones on to get away from the world. Like, I've had an iPhone for almost 3 months and I haven't put ANY music on it yet.

With that being said, the only times I really pick out particular types of music is when I'm driving or when I'm working out.

When I'm driving by myself I like to listen to female singers whose voices I can (try to) match. So like Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood (yes, on a good day, under the right circumstances, I can sound vaguely like Carrie with a cold), Jo Dee Messina, Faith Hill, Sara Evans...

If I'm driving with others road-trip style, I'm still a country girl, but I'm usually not so comfortable belting out the tunes like I would on my own, so I like to bring in the guys- Zac Brown Band, Tim McGraw, Kenny Chesney, Toby Keith. Also, maybe some Journey, Bon Jovi, and Top 40 stuff... try to keep it uplifting and fun, ya know?

Now, onto working out... I used to think all of my workout music had to be intense and fast paced. This is true for pumping myself up for football or Jiu Jitsu, even kick boxing. We're talking sped up dance and/or hardcore music. One of my favorites for a while was Motorhead's Ace of Spades... pumps you up, right??

But for some reason, running is not my friend, and if I listen to fast music, I run way too fast and I'm out of breath to the point of no return before the end of my first mile... and awesomely enough, at my fastest pace, I'm still lucky if I break 9 minutes... but then I have to walk any extra miles, so my pace drops to like 15 minute miles. Not really too stellar.

What I found is if I listen to slower but still enjoyable music, a-la Jason Mraz or Colbie Cailet.
 

Ahhh, now isn't that nice? So it still entertains me, but doesn't give me a heart attack.

Now, I could be in the worst mood and if this song comes on the radio, I immediately smile... It pretty much captures the essence of our friendship/relationship/engagement and now marriage- Uncle Kracker's You Make Me Smile...
We like it so much that we danced to it as our first song at our wedding. Talk about an instant mood lifter. As soon as I hear the first line, a ton of wonderful memories flood into my mind and I relive the most wonderful day of my life!

So maybe I like music more than I originally thought. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment