July 22, 2011

Happy Birthday Dad!




Yesterday was my dad's birthday! I love that guy! He's truly one of my best friends. He's taught me many invaluable lessons. He's helped me with so many projects. He's supported me through hundreds of softball games, years of school, crazy boyfriends. He and I know what the other is thinking with just a glance. Just today, he spent one of his days off from work helping me clean the garage, repairing my screen door (that Kevin literally ran through like a high school football player busting through a banner at half time), and meeting a plumber with me so I wouldn't have to be home alone with a male stranger. :) He loves me! :)


He loves Brian too, and that's really important to me. I have such a huge respect for my dad (and you too, mom!) and I deeply value their opinion about anything I do. So when Brian asked me to marry him and told me that he had already asked my dad's permission, I knew everything would be perfect.


I not only got to spend this whole morning-into-the-afternoon with my dad, I also got to spend the whole day with him yesterday! And not just him, the entire family!...


We spent the afternoon as the original four Rodners. We got some lunch and then headed over to the Petersen Automotive Museum. Dad really likes cars. Like, really, really  likes them.
We haven't been there as a family since the first year it opened. I just googled it, and that was back in 1994. *Fun fact: the website says it was founded on June 11, 1994 which was exactly 17 years before Brian and I would end up getting married! :) Good date!


Here's dad teaching Jeff some stuff. :)

We saw a lot of cool cars. In fact, we were looking at the sport car section (at like, Bugatti's and Ferrari's that were worth several million dollars) and I commented that they wouldn't be very practical, as there were no back seats, so where would Kevin go...

Then we stumbled upon this little beaut...
 Perfect size for our family. In fact, if I squint a little, I can see it now...
 It works, no?

Anyway, after we left the museum, we met up with Brian and Jeff's girlfriend Jennifer, then headed to Buca di Beppo for some Italian eats. Delicious!

They even gave my dad a cute little sign to sit with, so we did an impromptu photo shoot...
 After dinner, we headed back to my parents house for some cake and ice cream...

Now, about that... I made a cake the night before, but didn't frost it. I just stuck it in the fridge until I could get to it. At the gym yesterday morning, I told my mom I made the cake and she says she did too... wtf?? I thought I always made the cakes? But then when I got home after the gym and went to frost it, I couldn't get the damn thing out of the pans. This has never happened to me before! The cake finally came crumbling out and as hard as I tried to salvage it, the end result was this:



































Suck! So I sent my mom the text:
"Your cake wins. Mine is falling apart. Can't ice it."





That's a big deal- I admitted defeat. Hummph.


Anyway, just goes to show that everything happens for a reason. Two cakes = better than one!

Mom also had another win last night- trick candles! My poor dad had to blow them out about 18 times. That's right mom, make him work for it! :)



I think everyone had a good time yesterday! I know I did. I love spending time with my family. Sometimes we get loud and we don't always agree, but we do always love each other. And we always have fun!



Dad, I love you and I hope you had a very happy birthday. 

And you look great for your age!!! (Hooray for good genes!)


No comments:

Post a Comment