July 14, 2011

30 Day Challenge: Day 7

A picture of someone/something that has the biggest impact on you...

In reality, Brian and my parents have the biggest impact on me. I'm not very good at making decisions and the three of them are definitely my go-to people for inspiration, support, and assistance. But I talk about them a lot, so I figured I would also write about some other people that have a pretty big impact on my daily life:

These goofballs are the girls on the softball team that I coach. In a nutshell, they are high school girls between the ages of 14 and 18, their biggest worries are acne-faced boys, they're hilarious, and they're pretty fantastic athletes.

I spend a ton of time with them. During the season, it's at least 2-3 hours everyday, all day on some Saturdays, and half of my spring break... like 96 straight hours. Because of all of this time, I get to know them pretty well, and likewise, they get to know me too. They were all very supportive of my wedding planning during the season and they even threw me a surprise bridal shower in the weight room- gifts and cake included!

We discuss boys, family, college, oh, and softball. I want to hear about their lives and they want to hear about mine. I feel like they're- dare I say- my friends. Of course, there's only so much you can have in common with someone half your age, but needless to say, these kids hold a special place in my heart.

I say they impact me for multiple reasons. One is very simple- the San Fernando Valley is a small place, and I'm guaranteed to see at least one of them, or a parent, or a sibling anywhere I go- the mall, a restaurant, movie theater, public restroom, driving in the car next to me. (No joke, this has really happened.) So I need to be on my best behavior in public!

But the more complex reason they impact me is by holding me accountable. They like the fact that if I give them hitting tips, I can go out there and actually do it myself. They want to know about what I'm studying in school and why I'm continuing my education. They want advice about boys and working out. I don't think they realize, but they might be teaching me more than I teach them because they force me to get introspective and think about what I do and why I do it- in all facets of life.

I won't lie, there have been times when I no longer want to coach. It takes up enormous amounts of my free time that I basically volunteer. Sometimes it's very hot outside. Sometimes it's freezing. Sometimes it snows.
Yeah, really, that happened too... in southern CA... in APRIL
Just when I feel like I've had enough and I'd rather be at home scrapbooking or cleaning the toilet, one of them will say something insightful, do something sweet, or tell a hilarious joke, and then I remember why I'm there. I think they help balance me. They give me a perspective from my 15-16 year old self. What I would have done or said back then, in more innocent (naive?) times. Sometimes it's helpful to think like a kid. Like someone who is old enough to understand something but hasn't been tainted by life. I know that makes me sound kind of emo, but it's kind of true.

If we lose a game when I know we could have done better, I continue to reflect on that game and I'll even discuss it with Brian. But if they're having fun, I'm having fun. If they're successful, I'm happy and surging with pride. And that's the story of the 12 munchkins that impact my behavior, my thoughts, and my frame of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment