August 2, 2015

Super Simple Starfish Bunting

Somehow today, I managed to find the few moments I needed to put together this project that I been planning for a couple of months now. I wanted to kick myself for waiting so long to do it. Writing about this project will take longer than actually completing the project did. Actually, I think waiting for the glue gun to heat up was the longest part of the entire project!

Besides being super quick and easy, the cool thing about this project was that I already had everything that I needed for it.

Here's what I used:

-About a foot and a half of a thicker jute*
-8 four inch pieces of thin jute (or 2 for each starfish)
-4 starfish
-Glue gun
-Command strip hooks
 *I only needed about a foot and a half of the thicker jute because of the width of the window I was going to hang this bunting from. If I had more starfish and space, I obviously would have made it longer, so you would have to personalize the measurements to your specific space.

I started by cutting about 4 inches of the thinner jute. My starfish were relatively small, so I ended up trimming a lot of extra jute off at the end, but having the extra length just made it easier to work with. I put a strip of glue along one of the arms of the starfish and just started wrapping the jute around the arm until it looked and felt the way I wanted it to.

Then I put another strip of glue along the same arm over the jute I had just wrapped, and laid a new piece of jute straight across the length of the arm. I added more glue to the top if it just to give it extra hold.

I tried to do one a little differently bu laying the straight string first, but surprisingly, the hold wasn't as good, so I continued on with my original pattern. You might want to play around with it and see what works best for you.
After those all dried, I took the other end of the string and tied it to my thicker length of jute. You can be precise about it, but I didn't really feel the need to be. My starfish ended up pretty evenly spaced anyway!

Once that was finished, I snipped off all of the loose ends on the ties. Then I made loops on either end of the long jute, hooked them around my command hooks, and hung those hooks to the back of the window frame I decided to hang it from.

Voila! Super easy, super fast, super cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment