August 1, 2015

My Love/Hate Relationship


This is my first post on this blog and I'm just going to jump right in with a quick back story. 

A couple of years ago, I was in really good shape. Not like, amazing shape, but good shape. As an example, that January, I decided to run the LA marathon in March. Then I proceeded to not train. And then I ran it. Well, I didn't run the entire way. I walked a great deal of it. I'll save myself the embarrassment of posting my finish time. But I finished it. And, I wasn't even last. <--Those were my two goals, by the way. :)  I also completed my first half and my first (and only) triathlon, all within a couple of months of each other, all without any sort of training aside from the group exercise classes I was taking at the time.

Then I got married, had two babies, and spent the next 3 or so years watching a lot of Netflix and cuddling.

At the beginning of this year, I decided 2015 is the year of running. The first half of the year was dedicated to running. Nothing major. A couple of 10k's, a handful of 5k's. But I was running almost every day at work, racing about twice a month. and feeling like I was getting back to normal.

The thing is... I HATE running. I hate being out of breath, I hate feeling my butt cheeks jiggle every time I take a step (TMI, but true, sorry!), I hate cramping up.

But I love it. I love how accomplished I feel once I've reached my goal, I love the anticipation on the morning of a race, I love the comradery between runners.

I unofficially took the summer off from running. I didn't consciously make that decision, it just sort of happened. You know, being off of work (and the track), 90+ degree heat, vacations, kids at home, lots of work being done on the house- it all just didn't make for the perfect running environment. And of course, I HATE running. So there's that.

But school is starting again soon. And my next race is coming up in about a month...

No comments:

Post a Comment