December 22, 2011

Wicked Awesome

Wicked
Apparently I was the only person on earth (or at least in LA) to have never seen the musical Wicked. Well as of Saturday, that's all changed!
Brian got tickets for me for my birthday- which was October 6th... December 17th was the first available show, tickets were scarce, and he ordered them almost right when they became available. No joke, this show is popular. (No pun intended. Really.)
Well, no wonder! The show is so cute, the characters are adorable, the songs are catchy, and I really like how they incorporate the actual Wizard of Oz story into the plot. Oh, and this will probably make me sound like a total dork, but I loved the set- how the scenery moved and the lighting changed. It actually distracted me a little bit because I was watching the scenes change and thinking about the props more than I was watching the actors. Maybe I missed my calling as a stage hand? Set designer? It was an all-around fun show and it actually had a deeper message than I was expecting. I'd see it again in a heart beat. (No wonder Alexis has seen it like, 86 times. Ok, maybe only 3.)

I only took 2 pictures though...
One outside the theater...
And one inside the theater...
Sorry for the crappy picture quality... I took them with my phone. Maybe Santa will bring me a new camera...


Wickedly Delicious
Soooo this whole pregnancy thing... is silly.

I've never needed to gain weight. That has never been a problem for me. In fact, for most of my life, I have struggled with my weight. Prior to becoming pregnant, I weighed the most I ever have in my entire life. Once I found out I was pregnant, I was concerned about being on the heftier side. You know, things like gestational diabetes and other various complications can occur the higher your BMI is. The average women gains 2-5 pounds in the first trimester, but I've read stories about people that have gained 13 pounds right away because they're "eating for two" now. I was worried that I might face that scenario just because, let's face it, I love to eat. Add in a couple of holidays where you engorge yourself with calories upon calories, I was nervous.

I had a doctor's appointment yesterday morning. My weight is exactly the same. This is where I am conflicted and feel silly- On one hand I'm glad that I haven't gained weight, but on the other hand, I actually want to start gaining weight. Not just to gain it, that's not my style. But I would love to see this little baby bump start to come in for some reassurance. I don't really feel pregnant yet, and sometimes that scares me just a little. Other than being tired and lacking a period, (and a couple of positive pregnancy tests) I don't really have any symptoms.


Then today, while doing some holiday baking, I had an epiphany. Usually, I am a sucker for anything sweet, especially chocolate. Well while I was knee deep in sugary goodness, I couldn't stand the smell of any of the treats I was working with.
Sugar cookies and fudge? Gross. Wait- what??
I haven't been feeling sick at all. But there has definitely been some changes in my eating habits. First, I can't eat nearly the portions I used to eat. Second, the deliciousness with which I once had no self-control now grosses me out. Like, there has been an opened bag of chocolate chips in my fridge, untouched for a couple of weeks now. That would have been unheard of a couple of months ago.

So that makes me feel better. It still makes me chuckle that I am looking forward to gaining weight though. It's definitely a new way of thinking for me. But there will be a lot of transitions and thing to look forward to in the next 29 weeks!

PS... 29 weeks?!?! Why does that sound so soon??

1 comment:

  1. Aaaah, when I was pregnant we lived in an apartment building on the top floor. By the time I got to the apartment I had to heave because of all the different smells that were hitting me! I also could not eat sweets (really grossed me out), pizza, rice, chinese food or anything and I mean anything greasy!!! Good luck with all that :)

    ReplyDelete