July 9, 2011

30 Day Challenge: Day 2

The meaning behind your blog name...

Once upon a time, I was an athlete.

I grew up playing softball and played through high school and even some at the junior college I went to. Oddly enough though, it wasn't until I transferred to the university and started studying Kinesiology that I really understood how to exercise properly and what my body needs this physical stimulation. I no longer played organized sports, and although I missed playing softball, not playing actually opened new doors for me...

I made friends with new and different interests. I played tackle football on the weekends. I began to go on hikes and take kickboxing classes. My new friends gave me the courage to learn how to surf, practice Jiu Jitsu, and even compete in races that I never would have signed up for otherwise. In 2009, I competed in my first triathlon and in early 2010 I finished a half marathon and then even a full marathon. I was having fun trying new activities and felt pretty fearless. I was willing to TRY all kinds of new activities because I was so proud of myself and what I could get my body to do... and I was in the best shape of my life.
Right after finishing the triathlon
Flash forward to slightly less than a year later when I decided to start this blog. Brian and I were falling more and more deeply in love and my attention starting turning away from all of my activities and more towards him and eventually, Kevin. There was no where that I would rather be than cuddling the two of them on the couch.

My exercise habits started to wane, the number on the scale began to rise, and I was so mad at myself for letting myself slip like that. It was around that time that I started the blog, because I wanted to get my old spirit back. I needed my TRY anything attitude.

The name The Try Athlete basically serves as a reminder of who I am and what I strive to be. I may not be on any particular team at this point in my "athletic career," but I am certainly going to try my best at everything I do and try as many activities as I can!

Turns out, this attitude has also helped me in my professional life. As a PE teacher, I have developed the philosophy that there is at least one physical activity that was meant for everyone, and it is my job to try to help kids find that activity and cultivate it. I try to steer away from typical PE units like basketball and teach new and exciting units like ultimate frisbee or team handball. (Ever played either of those? Because you should. They're awesome.) That led to my thesis project that I'm currently working on, which is creating an Outdoor Adventure curriculum, so I can introduce adventure activities (like rock climbing, kayaking, and surfing) to my students and give them an even broader understanding of all of the fun physical activities that they can do. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment